So the other day I was driving in my car and the song Do The Bartman come on the radio. It sent me to a moment in time. I knew then I had to do a countdown of the top 40 novelty songs of all-time. Here are the rules . . .
A novelty song is:
- A song that was made specifically to promote or advance something.
- Almost exclusively made by a group or act not looking for further fame or hits.
- Reminds you of a time gone by . . .
- People were kind of into it. It was a hit.
- Look, we all know what these look like okay . . .
- This list is not in order, but how I thought of them.
So here is the list.
20. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer – Elmo and Patsy
19. Monster Mash – Bobby Pickett
17. Who Let the Dogs Out – Baha Men
16. A Fifth of Beethoven – Walter Murphy
15. Super Bowl Shuffle – Chicago Bears
14. The Ketchup Song – Las Ketchup
13. They’re Coming To Take Me Away – Napoleon XIV
9. Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie – Brian Hyland
7. The Chanukah Song – Adam Sandler
6. Basketball Jones – Cheech and Chong
5. The Curley Shuffle – Jump in the Saddle Band
4. The Homecoming Queens Got a Gun – Julie Brown